- Man with pipe bombs may have plotted to harm Gov. Gavin Newsom, FBI saysby Sophia Bollag on January 28, 2021 at 3:30 am
Agents cited text messages in which the man said he wanted to “go to war” against Democrats.
- ‘Why?’ Police seek answers after doctor kills pediatrician, himself at Austin clinicby Mitchell Willetts on January 28, 2021 at 2:07 am
Six hours of silence, uncertainty, then a grim conclusion. Police have more questions than answers.
- Deputies move site of ‘humiliating’ arrest to improve ‘Live PD’ filming, Texas suit saysby Chacour Koop on January 28, 2021 at 1:01 am
A Texas man suffered a broken shoulder after he was arrested on “Live PD,” a lawsuit says.
- GOP activist, one of three from Sacramento area charged in Capitol riot, to stay in jailby Sam Stanton on January 28, 2021 at 12:43 am
Judge called Jorge Riley, one of three from capital region charged, “a man of impulse and poor judgment.”
- Woman dodges mask rules by dressing ‘like a Muslim,’ she tells Idaho city councilby Maddie Capron on January 27, 2021 at 11:45 pm
The Council on American-Islamic Relations said its policy is that everyone should follow health and safety guidelines in terms of wearing masks.
- Dad’s lucky lottery numbers live on after his death — and win his son $1 millionby Hayley Fowler on January 27, 2021 at 10:47 pm
“I just figure he helped me out a lot.”
- Tyler Perry says he was ‘skeptical’ about COVID vaccine. Here’s why he got it — on TVby Tanasia Kenney on January 27, 2021 at 10:43 pm
The “Madea” star addresses Black Americans’ distrust of the vaccine in a new BET special.
- More than 33 million watched Biden’s inauguration on TV. What about past presidents?by Bailey Aldridge on January 27, 2021 at 10:08 pm
Only the inaugurations of former Presidents Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan had more TV viewers.
- Will COVID vaccines need a booster shot to combat variants? Here’s what to knowby Katie Camero on January 27, 2021 at 9:29 pm
There are three coronavirus variants of concern spreading in the U.S.
- Storm doesn’t stop COVID vaccinations in Stanislaus County; Patterson site opens Fridayby Ken Carlson on January 27, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Starting at 9 a.m. Friday, the Patterson clinic has 500 doses for eligible county residents and seniors age 65 and older.
- Chick-fil-A manager lends drive-thru skills to COVID vaccine site in South Carolinaby Hayley Fowler on January 27, 2021 at 9:16 pm
Wait times went from one hour to 15 minutes, the mayor said.
- These spots near Great Smoky Mountains rank among the hottest US travel destinationsby Simone Jasper on January 27, 2021 at 9:09 pm
Health officials have urged people to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Turlock City Council delays decision on public pool. What’s holding it up?by Kristin Lam on January 27, 2021 at 9:00 pm
The Turlock City Council did not vote to either fix the pool, remove it and expand the splash pad, or update both the pool and splash pad.
- Pedestrian using McHenry crosswalk in Modesto suffers major injuries when hit by carby Deke Farrow on January 27, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Drugs, alcohol and speed do not appear to be factors, police say.
- Why some California renters are being forced from their homes despite ‘eviction moratorium’by Monica Vaughan on January 27, 2021 at 7:58 pm
“I’m sure the landlord’s not doing well, either, and I feel for him. But it’s rough out on the streets.”
- How will you watch Bucs-Chiefs Super Bowl? COVID changes viewer habits, polls showby Mike Stunson on January 27, 2021 at 7:33 pm
Many people are likely to not attend Super Bowl gatherings this year as the COVID-19 pandemic continues.
- Closing 5 California prisons would free up money to house former inmates, Democrat saysby Hannah Wiley on January 27, 2021 at 7:20 pm
“We know that when people exit our prisons, they need a stable home,” the lawmaker said.
- Bullet shoots through bedroom TV and kills man watching with wife, Texas sheriff saysby Chacour Koop on January 27, 2021 at 6:40 pm
At first, the man’s wife believed it was a drive-by shooting, but the bullet was fired from inside the home, authorities say.
- Coronavirus updates: California’s COVID vaccine allocation boosted 16% for next weekby Michael McGough on January 27, 2021 at 6:33 pm
The state will get about 78,000 more Moderna shots than it did this week.
- Names struck from 44 San Francisco schools, including Lincoln, Revere — and Feinsteinby Don Sweeney on January 27, 2021 at 6:18 pm
“It’s not just symbolic. It’s a moral message.”
- ‘Zombie raccoons’ spotted in New Orleans park pose threat to pets, city warnsby Tanasia Kenney on January 27, 2021 at 6:00 pm
“I am kind of on my guard in case there are some crazy raccoons that are going to nibble at my toes,” one resident said.
- SLO Brew, Taco Works create ‘world’s first tortilla chip beer.’ What does it taste like?by Nick Wilson on January 27, 2021 at 5:59 pm
Brewers used 400 pounds of freshly baked Taco Works tortilla chips to flavor the craft beer.
- Are Biden ties with Senate Republicans enough to win votes for COVID relief bill?by Francesca Chambers,Alex Roarty on January 27, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Even the best of friendships might yield little progress in the current Congress, a place that has changed rapidly since Biden last held a seat there a dozen years ago
- Rare snowstorm creates stunning desert scene at national park in Arizona, photos showby Maddie Capron on January 27, 2021 at 5:42 pm
“I had no idea that you ever got snow in Saguaro.”
- ‘Dangerous’ 70-year-old sought in slaying of two duck hunters, Tennessee officials sayby Hayley Fowler on January 27, 2021 at 5:37 pm
State officials have released few details surrounding the circumstances of their deaths.